Winter Session 3 of Learn-to-Skate starts on Friday, March 6 and/or Sunday, March 8! Registration is open below!
Sign up for one day for $99* or both days for just $149*! Missed the first class? No problem, you can easily do a makeup!
* Register now for the 2019-20 season at Learn to Skate USA! A current/valid Learn to Skate USA membership is REQUIRED per skater in order to skate in our Learn-to-Skate program at Ice Land! Head to www.learntoskateusa.com to register today!
NEW! Learn to Skate off-ice training! Learn to Skate off-ice will focus on functional fitness methods that will work on balance, agility, core strength and coordination enhancement utilizing yoga, stretching and exercises that train the body for everyday activities. Off-ice is an imperative component of ice skating whether a figure skater, hockey player or recreational skater. Plus it's fun and who doesn't like to have fun!? Sneakers are required. Participants will meet by Locker Room 4 in the Phantoms Rink. Classes will run for 30 minutes. Class times are Fridays at 6:45 or 7:15p, or Sundays at 12:30p, giving skaters time to practice before their off-ice class! $5 per week if paid in advance with your registration. Walk-ins ($10) will be allowed if we can accommodate. Off-ice training will start with Winter Session 3!
NEW! Have littles who are interested in hockey (3-6 years old)? Enter the Mini Chiefs! The Mini Chiefs will join our regular Learn to Play program, the Junior Chiefs, on Saturday mornings at 9:10a. The Mini Chiefs MUST be enrolled in our Learn to Skate program to do the Mini Chiefs program, as they still need their skating skills through Basic 4 to move to our Learn to Play program. Classes will run for a half hour and will be discounted. Hockey helmet, hockey skates (Can use rentals!), hockey stick, hockey pants, shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin guards are needed. Talk to Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about gear or the program. We will have Mini Chiefs jerseys to purchase if you are interested! Names and favorite numbers may be added to the back for an additional fee! Sign up under your Learn to Skate registration. The Mini Chiefs will start with Winter Session 3 of Learn-to-Play and will run the same as the Learn-to-Skate sessions. More info at www.ice-land.com/minichiefs.
* Mini Chiefs will need a USA Hockey number. Birth years 2013 and later can obtain a USA Hockey number at no cost at membership.usahockey.com.
Learn to Skate USA and our group ice skating lessons will prepare you/your child for advancement in the sport of ice skating. Ice skating can be a group or an individual sport. It teaches self discipline and the feeling of accomplishment with the skill, but most of all, ice skating must be fun!
Learn to Skate USA is the only program endorsed by US Figure Skating, USA Hockey + US Speedskating.
Includes 1 free public skating pass!
(Given on the first day of class.)
Class Friday OR Sunday
$99 Tots, Basics, Freestyle, Adults
$149 Advanced Freestyle - 1 hr
Class BOTH Friday & Sunday
$149 Tots, Basics, Freestyle, Adults
$225 Advanced Freestyle - 1 hr
* Trial classes are $25/class.
* Each session is 5 weeks long.
* NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN!
* Ice skating lesson sessions run continuously every 5 weeks on Friday evenings or Sunday mornings. There are times due to holidays, tournaments, etc. that we have a week scheduled off. Be sure to check the current dates listed on this page and/or any of our Learn-to-Skate flyers.
* Feel free to join after the session has already started - we would love to have you! You can do a make-up class on one of the other days that classes are scheduled.
* Not ready to commit? Trial classes are allowed. ($25 per trial class, per skater.) Please check in at the window, not the Learn-to-Skate desk, to register for a trial class.
* One make-up class per session, per skater is allowed. There is NO chance for a makeup if you are signing up for both days. However, the second day is already discounted by half! Do not ask for exceptions.
* Please allow yourself enough time to check in and get your skates on. On the first day, there tends to be a line and this can impede on your class time. Make-ups are not allowed due to missed class time and classes will not be extended. Badges will be given on the first day of class and collected on the last day. Badges are required for class. Lost/stolen/forgotten badges are $5 to be replaced. Badges must be worn to EVERY class.
* Once you have your skates on and tied securely to the top, using all of the hooks in a crisscross pattern, head into the rink. If it is your class time, proceed to the far door and we will get all kids on the ice from there. If your class hasn't started but Learn-to-Skate has already begun, you may practice on the other side of the cones until your class begins. Remember, practice is of utmost importance!
* Parents/Siblings may skate during Learn-to-Skate on the other side of the cones. It is $10/per day/per person and DOES NOT include a lesson. Friends are not permitted to skate during this time. Make sure you get a sticker from the Front Desk that is to be worn the entire time you are on the ice.
* We ask that parents DO NOT skate with their kids during class time. This is a distraction to kids and our coaches.
* Don't forget your gloves/mittens and helmets! (They are not provided by the rink.)
* Please note, coaches are not responsible for holding up skaters during class. Skaters are expected to try to stand on their own.
* NO SKATES ON THE BLEACHERS!
* No refunds will be given for any reason, including missed classes etc. No refunds!
Click the photo for more information on our Totsicles program at Ice Land - our weekday, morning classes for preschool or homeschooled children!
Current + Next Session Dates
Winter Session 3 (Next Session) Friday- 3/6, 3/13, 3/20, 3/27, 4/3 Sunday- 3/8, 3/15, 3/22, 3/29, 4/5 Registration open for Winter 3! Stay tuned for Spring Session 1 dates!
Learn-to-Skate at Ice Land is YEAR round! Classes are Sunday mornings and Friday evenings from September to June. Classes are on Wednesday and Friday nights during the summer. Learn-to-Skate, public sessions, freestyle and hockey run every month, all year long! Skate to great all year long with us at Ice Land!
Missing a class and need to do a make-up? No problem! The make-up class MUST be done during the same session you missed the class. Only ONE make-up per skater, per session. No exceptions! If you are taking class twice per week, there is no option for a make-up class. However, the second class is discounted by half!
Classes start on each half hour!
Friday – (Practice time is 5:30-7:00p!) 5:30-6:00p – Tot 1-4, Basic 1-2, Beginner Adults (Only) 6:00-6:30p – Basic 3-6, Adv. Freestyle (Pt. 1) 6:30-7:00p – Pre-Freestyle, Freestyle, Adv. Freestyle (Pt. 2), Hockey, Adults (Beginner to Advanced) Sunday – (Practice time is 10:30a-12:30p!) 9:30-10:30a – Advanced Freestyle 10:30-11:00a – Tots 1-4, Hockey, Beginner Adults (Only) 11:00-11:30a – Basic 1-3 11:30a-12:00p – Basic 4-6 12:00-12:30p – Pre-Freestyle, Freestyle, Adults (Beginner to Advanced)
Learn-to-skate USA requires a registration number for each skater in order to participate in their hockey or figure skating programs. This is done only ONCE per season - July 1-June 30. This is NOT DONE through Ice Land, but required by US Figure Skating.
Click here to sign up for Learn-to-Skate USA insurance!
Tots 1-4 (6 and under) - Basic elements for the younger skaters including marching, swizzles, backward wiggles, stops, curves, glides and dips. Helmets are mandatory for our tot classes. (Age is an estimate. You can choose Tots or Basic when signing up.)
Basic 1 (7 and up) - Marching, fall down and get up, backward wiggles, forward swizzles, two foot glides and beginning snowplow stop.
Basic 2 - Backward swizzles, two foot turns, one foot glides and moving snowplow stops.
Basic 3 - Backward glides, slaloms, one foot swizzle pumps, pivots and backward stops.
Basic 4 - Forward crossovers, forward edges on the circle, backward glides, two foot spins, lunges and backward pumps on the circle.
Basic 5 - Backward crossovers, backward edges on the circle, one foot three turn on an outside edge, advanced two foot spins and hockey stops.
Basic 6 - Spirals, bunny hops, one foot three turn on an inside edge, side toe hops and turns on the circle.
Pre-Freestyle - Mohawks, landing positions, ten step mohawk pattern on the circle, mazurka, waltz jump and one foot spin.
Freestyle 1-6 - Jumps, spins, edge work, spirals and moves-in-the-field. (Advanced Freestyle is an hour long class that utilizes half of the class for moves, edge work and spirals and the second half of class for jumps and spins. Advanced Freestyle is open to anyone in Freestyle 1 and up. If you wish to take Advanced Freestyle, please choose it when checking out.)
Hockey - Must have hockey skates and a cage helmet (Mandatory!). Sticks are not allowed during Learn-to-Skate time. Prerequisites - Basic 4
Adults (18 and above) - Learn to skate at a more relaxed pace. Many elements from various levels are covered according to your level of skating.
Special Olympics - Different levels of classes designed for each skater. Choose 'Special Olympics' from the drop down menu.
* Remember, some classes are harder than others and may need to be repeated. Don't be discouraged - practice!
Skating Director - Jenn Schaffener
*Donna Console *Jeanne Bachmann
*Rebecca Robotin *Laura Gardner
*Heather O'Connell *Ashley Bain
*Brittany Hood *Caitlyn Higgins
*Jackie Barr *Cynthia Reynolds
*Ashley Munafo *Eesha Baskhar
* You can sign up for Learn-to-Skate by clicking the link above. You will have to make an account the first time you log in and then you will be able to register online each session. We recommend signing up online in case we need to email out any important information including weather closings, reminders about dates not included in a session, etc.
* You can also sign up in person at the rink, but we advise that you get to the rink early, as there tends to be a line to register on the first day of each new session. Avoid the line - register online! Or stop by the rink during our normal operating hours to register for classes.
* Make sure to register for Learn-to-Skate USA (insurance) once per season per skater. Please choose 'Ice Land Basic Skills Program' from the online list. Being a member of Learn-to-Skate USA includes a welcome packet, a subscription to Learn-to-Skate USA Magazine, secondary sport insurance, great information to make your first glides on the ice successful and more! Registration for Learn-to-Skate USA is MANDATORY and done separately from registration for Learn-to-Skate. www.learntoskateusa.com
Starter private lessons are a great way for a child or adult who has never skated, to get a one-on-one lesson with one of our instructors before their first group lesson. Starter lessons help to ease you/your child's nerves if they are nervous about skating. Consider a private lesson before your first class! Coaching fees (to coach) and ice time fees (to Ice Land) apply and are paid on the day of each lesson. Call, text or email our director Jenn to schedule your first lesson.
Private lessons are available as a starter lesson, booster lesson (To help with a certain skill, etc.) or as a way to continue learning skating skills. Whatever your goals are, we are here to guide you!
Would you love to give someone the gift of ice skating? A future figure skater perhaps? The next big hockey player? Contact our skating director or the front desk, to purchase your gift certificate for a Learn-to-Skate session, etc. today!
We have adult Learn-to-Skate classes from beginner to advanced levels. Whether you have NEVER skated before and have always wanted to learn or you are more advanced and want to continue to learn, join us on the ice! Learn at your own pace along with other adults. What a fun activity for the entire family to learn - together!
Click here for more information on adult classes!
Did you hear? The Skating Club of Ice Land is offering Learn to Skate Memberships for a discounted rate at it includes your very own Skating Club of Ice Land jacket! How exciting!
So why join the skating club?
* Get a Skating Club jacket!
* Skate in our club shows!
* Attend our annual Skating Club awards banquet!
* Volunteer with the club at many venues throughout the year!
* Attend our annual summer party!
* Attend our annual Skatesgiving event!
* Join the Junior Leaders or Mini-Junior Leaders; a club within the club! The Junior Leaders plan the club's events, decorate, volunteer in the community, meet once a month on Friday evenings and help the club in any way they can!
* Have access to all of our fabulous Skating Club spirit wear!
* Make new and lifelong friendships with your skating family!
* And most importantly - HAVE FUN!